The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides low-income households with assistance in filing their income taxes, helping families to claim any tax credits for which they are eligible. Services are available in Portage, Waupaca and Waushara counties from late January to mid-April.
No prior tax preparation experience is necessary, and there are volunteer opportunities that don’t actually involve preparing taxes.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Have strong interpersonal communication skills
- Are comfortable working with people from diverse life circumstances
- Are enthusiastic, flexible, and have a desire to help people move from “getting by” to “getting ahead”
- Will work with individuals in a positive, respectful and empowering manner
- Can commit to weekly volunteer shifts during the tax season
CAP has the following volunteer opportunities available
Note: Depending on the size of the VITA site and how busy it is, volunteer needs vary and sometimes volunteers will be asked to perform multiple roles. For instance, some locations might ask the tax preparer to greet and sign-in a client before preparing their taxes. However, volunteers will never be asked to volunteer in any capacity they find uncomfortable or are not trained/certified to do.