CAP is now accepting WERA pre-screening applications.

Apply Now!
¡Aplica ya!

Call 844-314-8004 for assistance in English, Spanish, or Hmong.


What assistance can WERA provide?

Eligible forms of assistance include the following:

  • Up to 12 months of rental arrearages and/or rental assistance, plus an additional 3 months if the extra months are determined to be needed to ensure housing stability and funds are available.
    • Once a household’s rental arrears are reduced, assistance is only provided for up to three months at a time.
    • Recertification of household’s income eligibility is necessary after three months.
    • Only arrears starting March 13, 2020 are eligible.
  • Utility and housing energy payments and arrearages including electricity and gas.
    • Telecommunication services (telephone, cable, Internet) are not considered to be utilities.
    • Utilities covered by the landlord within rent will be treated as rent.
  • Provision of, or referral, for housing stability services.

What is the area served by CAP Services?

CAP serves Marquette, Outagamie, Portage, Waupaca, and Waushara counties. If you live in a different county please visit WISCAP’s WERA page for information on the WERA agency in your county.

Who qualifies for the WERA program?

At least one or more individuals in the household meets the following criteria:

  • Qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a significant reduction in income, incurred significant costs, or experienced financial hardship during the period of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
  • Demonstrates a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability;
  • Has a household income at or below 80 percent of their county’s median income.

Is US citizenship a requirement for WERA?

No. US citizenship is not a requirement for WERA.

Full FAQ available at Wisconsin Community Action Program Association (WISCAP) WERA Page