Wisconsin Help for Homeowners (WHH) Program
The Wisconsin Help for Homeowners (WHH) program offers financial assistance to eligible homeowners who have fallen behind on their mortgage or other housing-related costs due to financial hardship caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The WHH program offers eligible households financial assistance with delinquent mortgage payments, property taxes, utilities or energy, internet, water and sewer, lot rent, land contracts, insurance and/or other fees.
Wisconsin Help for Homeowners (WHH) Program is a statewide program. CAP Services’ service area for assistance is Marquette, Outagamie, Portage, Waupaca, Waushara Counties. Click here to begin the application process.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for assistance:
1. You are a Wisconsin homeowner living in a primary residence, such as a:
• Single Family home
• Duplex or Condo
• Manufactured Home
2. Can demonstrate financial hardship after January 21, 2020.
3. Meet income requirement of 100% area median income or less. Click here to check your income.
What qualifies as a financial hardship?
If you have experienced one or more of the following since January 21, 2020:
• Job loss, loss of wages, or fewer paid hours at work.
• If you are self-employed, and your business is no longer supplying you with income or your income has been reduced.
• Independent contractors or gig workers who have not been able to earn fees, or whose fees have been reduced.
• Have become sick or have been advised by a governmental or medical professional to self-quarantine.
• Have had to leave a job or reduce work hours in order to care for a person who is sick.
• Have had to leave a job or reduce work hours to care for dependents whose ordinary situations (such as school or daycare) have been disrupted.
• Increased household costs, including the cost of fuel and utilities.
• Had an unexpected COVID-related medical or funeral expense.
• Had unexpected child-care or elderly care expenses.
COVID-19 assistance available for housing and utilities.
CAP Services is administering grant programs for individuals whose income or resources were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Residents of Marquette, Outagamie, Portage, Waupaca, and Waushara counties can call 844-314-8004 for information in English, Spanish or Hmong, or click below to complete a pre-screening application.
We are currently receiving a very high volume of pre-screening forms. Please be patient as we are reviewing all forms in the order they were received. A member of CAP’s team will contact you as soon as possible to discuss next steps in the application process.
Assistance is available through the Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance (WERA) program. Applicants must have household income at or below 80% of the county median income. Households can receive up to 12 months of rental arrearages and/or rental assistance, plus an additional 3 months if the extra months are determined to be needed to ensure housing stability and funds are available. Utility, internet, and housing energy payments and arrearages are also available.
US citizenship is not a requirement for WERA. Full FAQ available at Wisconsin Community Action Program Association (WISCAP) WERA Page.
Assistance is available through CDBG-CV for residents of Marquette, Portage, Waupaca, or Waushara counties. Applicants must have household income at or below 80% of the county median income. Households can receive up to $5,000 in assistance covering mortgage arrearages and payments and utility expenses over a period of 6 months. Residents of Outagamie County who need mortgage assistance can contact LEAVEN at (920) 738-9635.